Hypertension or High Blood pressure is a very commonly seen health condition in which the force of blood against the walls of blood vessels is too high. It is written as two numbers- the numerator being Systolic and the denominator being Diastolic. Systolic pressure is higher as it represents the pressure during the contraction of the heart muscles. The diastolic pressure is the one between two contractions and is hence lower. A person is said to be hypertensive if their blood pressure reading indicates a systolic pressure above 140mmHg and a diastolic pressure above 90mmHg measured on two different days. Blood pressure above 180/120mmHg is considered a Hypertensive Crisis.
Being a lifestyle disorder, it is a major cause of premature deaths since it gives rise to many other diseases especially if left undetected or unmanaged. Since its symptoms often go unnoticed, it is known as a “Silent Killer” due to no warning signs. Some signs and symptoms of Hypertension when they are visible are:
- Headaches, especially early in the morning and in the occiput or back of the head.
- Palpitations and shortness of breath
- Changes in the Vision or retinopathy
- Buzzing in the ears
- Chest pain
Factors that make a person predisposed to hypertension can be modifiable or hereditary. Modifiable factors for hypertension include obesity, excessive salt consumption, diet with high trans-fat and saturated fats, poor physical activity and consumption of tobacco and alcohol. Hereditary factors include a family history of hypertension while other non-modifiable factors include old age and preexisting diseases such as diabetes and kidney disorders.
Detecting high blood pressure is painless, noninvasive and easy. A Sphygmomanometer or as popularly known-a BP App consists of a cuff and an inflator connected to a mercury gauge and traditionally requires the use of a stethoscope along with it. Newer, more modern apparatus’ are automatic and do not require the use of a stethoscope to reach a reading.
Complications of Uncontrolled Hypertension include:
- Cardiovascular diseases such as arteriosclerosis or atherosclerosis which is the hardening of the vessels or plaque buildup.
- Chest pain also known as Angina
- Heart attack due to blockage of blood flow and death of cardiac muscular tissue.
- Heart failure due to inability of the heart to pump enough blood to other vital organs of the body
- Irregular heart beat or arrhythmia.
- Stroke is also a serious complication of hypertension
- Kidney damage and ultimately kidney failure can also be caused by hypertension.
Management of Hypertension:
Management of High BP includes dietary changes, regular exercise, weight loss, reduced consumption of alcohol, avoiding smoking completely and medication such as calcium channel blockers, beta blockers, ace inhibitors, diuretics and angiotensin receptor blockers.
Homoeopathic management of hypertension can be considered along with these essential steps as mentioned above. It is however extremely important to consult your physician before proceeding to start these remedies. Some of the best Homoeopathic remedies for Hypertension are:
- Rauwolfia Serpentina: The very famous homoeopathic remedy for the management of hypertension, B Jain’s Mother Tincture Rauwolfia is known for its anti-hypertensive action. It also helps with anxiety, restlessness, irritability and diarrhea. It is also available in the form of Rauwolfia Serpentina 1X Tablets.
- Crataegus Oxycantha: Another very useful Mother tincture- Crataegus Mother tincture is known for its cardio protective properties and its utility in regulating the blood pressure. It is also a major ingredient of Omeo Be Pe Tone Drops which help in the management of Hypertension.
- Aurum Muriaticum Natronatum: An excellent remedy for high blood pressure and arteriosclerosis, it is available in the form of B Jain’s Aurum Muriaticum Natronatum Trituration tablets in 3x and 6x potencies. It is also a key remedy of Omeo Cardio Plus Drops which is a specialty product that helps strengthen the heart.
- Gautteria Gaumeri: Famous for its properties to manage hypercholesterolemia, it is also a highly beneficial remedy for hypertension and prevention of complications.
- Baryta Muriatica: Specially indicated for cases of hypertension with very low difference in the systolic and diastolic pressures or when the diastolic is higher but the systolic pressure remains normal, it is available in the form of both Baryta muriatica dilution as well as Baryta Muriatica trituration tablets.
Visit our Previous Blog – Homoeopathy for Dengue